The biggest advantages of premium running shoes
A normal shoe is not an option. Today's top running shoes are designed to give you the best possible support when running and to protect you from overloading and even injuries:
- Cushioning where it is necessary: Running shoes protect your feet, knees and tendons through targeted cushioning. Your running style is important. If you only put on with the forefoot, you need more intensive cushioning. If you roll over the heel, less is enough.
- Protection of the joints: To protect knees, ankles and tendons, you adjust your cushioning to your preferred surface. Harder running tracks on asphalt require more intensive cushioning than gravel or forest floor. However, the running shoe cushioning should not be too soft. This can also have a negative effect on the joints. When making your choice, pay attention to your body weight and running style.
What types of running shoes are there?
The trail presents you with different challenges than the road. Newcomers need more support than experienced runners. That's why there is a suitable running shoe for every situation:
- Neutral running shoes: the perfect centre. Cushioning is comfortable but not too intense. The foot gets guidance, but not too much. Also the weight settles in the middle and the bounce is not too steep. Neutral running shoes are therefore suitable for your training on asphalt, especially if you roll naturally.
- Supported running shoes: Intensive cushioning combines supported running shoes with a stiff upper that clearly supports the foot. All of this counteracts overpronation, where knees and feet bend inwards during the step. The bounce is medium, rather strong.
- Trail running shoes: Soft, uneven ground meets roots, tree trunks, possibly larger stones. Trailrunning shoes therefore provide intensive support for the foot and also have a sole with studs that also grip mud. The material is mostly breathable, partly waterproof, while the cushioning is moderately intensive.
- Competition shoes: Running shoes for competition are lighter than training shoes. They save on cushioning and support and only guide the foot minimally. The thin upper material saves weight and provides effective ventilation.
- Natural Running running shoes: The barefoot running feeling is gaining more and more followers. Instead of leading shafts and thick cushioning, Natural Running shoes shine with minimum weight and maximum flexibility. The sole protects against stones, not against impacts. This is done by the musculoskeletal system. That is why the Natural Running Shoe is only suitable for experienced, well-trained runners.
How are running shoes built?
Every running shoe is made up of several building blocks. Their tasks are clearly distributed:
- The outsole protects against uneven ground and stones. Special rubber compounds and sole patterns also provide support.
- The midsole provides cushioning. It is made of elastic materials and contains special technologies like Boost, Gel or Zoom Air.
- The upper material protects against the elements and should be breathable, light and robust at the same time. There are water-repellent versions and models that keep the foot warm even in cold weather.
- You can adjust the running shoe even more precisely via the insole. It is removable and therefore allows changes in terms of fit, footbed and additional cushioning.
- The lacing should not pressure, but still keep your foot firmly in place, after all, it should be stable. There are also variants for trail running that do not get caught in small knots.
Running shoes: What does offset mean?
Guided by the midsole and footbed, most running shoes drop slightly to intensively from heel to toe: the offset. In other words, the offset describes the difference in height between the heel and forefoot. Basically, a small offset favors a natural running style. Natural Running models therefore sometimes rely on a completely flat course from the heel to the forefoot. A more intensive - i.e. thicker - cushioning at the back, on the other hand, is intended to relieve the heel of heel runners.
How should running shoes fit?
Running shoes should not put too much pressure on the feet. You also avoid chafing. Since your feet can swell a little on longer runs and should not touch the front of the foot when you roll, you will normally walk about half a size higher than with street shoes. A thumb's breadth of space in front of the toes is considered optimal. The last should be wide enough to give your foot enough room. The ankles, however, are free. Also note that running shoes vary according to brand and model.
How many running shoes should I own?
It makes sense to have several pairs of running shoes: if you have at least two different pairs of running shoes, you prevent your foot from being permanently strained on one side while running. The musculature is stimulated in different ways. The life span of the shoes is also extended. Especially since the shoes also need a certain amount of regeneration time to regain their full cushioning qualities. 48 hours is considered sufficient. Basically, you should change running shoes after 800 to 1,000 kilometers. Then the cushioning and materials are largely worn out.
The best running shoes for every season
High temperatures. Smooth. Cold. You want to run at all times and therefore cannot rely on a pair of running shoes. For every weather condition there are suitable variants:
Running shoes for the winter
Stability is especially important during the cold season. Therefore, use running shoes with particularly non-slip rubber compounds, possibly with an intensive sole pattern or even spikes. They should also be water-repellent and on particularly cold days you should wear shoes with a Gore membrane. Reflectors for running sessions in the dark also increase safety.
Running shoes for the summer
Thinner material saves weight and increases breathability. The right combination for the summer. The upper should also effectively transport moisture to the outside.
Running shoes for the transitional period
The conditions change more frequently between dry and humid. So even in wet conditions, you need grip outsoles and thicker material that can be water repellent.
Die bekanntesten Laufschuhserien
With Eliud Kipchoges marathon sprint of less than 2 hours the Nike Alphafly NEXT% the stage. A running shoe revolution and evolution. Just like the Nikes Pegasus, the predecessor of the Vaporfly series is already one of the best known in the entire industry.. adidas Running counters this with its Ultraboost, whose revolutionary cushioning accelerates running on asphalt and makes it more comfortable. The ASICS Kayano series has been around for generations.
The best known cushioning materials for running shoes
Damping is not equal to damping. Each of the major brands has its own technologies with its own advantages:
- adidas BOOST: Small capsules that contract when you step on the foot to return energy to your foot immediately, especially intensely. This is adidas Boost. Furthermore, the cushioning from Herzogenaurach promises high running comfort.
- ASICS GEL: silicone for long-lasting cushioning and stability. ASICS GEL technology is one of the most famous in the running shoe industry. It cushions, stabilizes the rolling foot and also adapts to your foot shape., stabilisiert den abrollenden Fuß und passt sich zudem an Deine Fußform an.
- Nike Zoom Air: Nike creates control, agility and responsiveness through a combination of intensively stretched fibers and compressed air. Zoom Air absorbs your impact and returns to its original shape soon after. This brings protection and dynamics together and is easy on joints, muscles and tendons.
- Mizuno Wave: Waves replace a flat shape. With its Wave technology, Mizuno sets itself apart from the competition by extending the impact force over the entire sole instead of cushioning it selectively. Cushioning is complemented by increased stability and dynamics.
Running shoes online at Keller Sports
You choose the type of running shoe, your preferred brand and Keller Sports will provide you with the model you want. Both men and women will find not only all varieties but also the best brands in our running shoe store. Nike is represented as well as ASICS or adidas. You can also order running shoes from ON, PUMA, Saucony, New Balance or Mizuno online and benefit regularly from the attractive offers in our running shoe sale.