THE BIGGEST ADVANTAGES OF A RUNNING JACKET
Additional weight only interferes, which directly excludes your rain jacket from the run. Our premium running jackets, which you can order online at Keller Sports, are pleasantly light, but still offer protection from the elements:
- Function of a running jacket: The upper body cools down quickly when running. Unless you wear a running jacket. The jacket is made of polyester or polyamide microfibres, is breathable, wicks away moisture and unnecessary heat. At the same time it insulates you against wind and cold and is also waterproof.
- Warmth & visibility: You determine the degree of insulation. Because there are running jacket variants for warmer and colder days. For the latter, you will find top models with padding, hoods and high collars. In addition, there are membranes that increase water and wind repellent properties. Functional wool components can also be incorporated and keep you warm. In addition, many running jackets are adorned with important reflectors which increase your safety enormously when running in the dark.
WHAT TYPES OF RUNNING JACKETS ARE THERE?
There are jackets for every temperature and every run. Whenever you're heading for the road or trail, you'll find the right extra layer for your outfit at Keller Sports.
- Fleece running jackets: When the temperature drops, you want warmth. Fleece delivers just that. Just be aware that the material lets air through relatively unchecked and therefore offers less protection on windy days. Fleece is also not breathable and water-repellent.
- Softshell jackets: Additional warmth with high breathability and low weight. Softshell jackets facilitate your run on cooler, dry days. The material does not repel water. But there are models with a membrane that also protect you against wind and moisture. Since soft shell is more elastic than hard shell, the running jacket also adapts better to your movements.
- Windbreaker: The running window of windbreakers is not very large. The jackets protect you from wind. But at the same time they lack breathability.
- Raincoats: Water doesn't have a chance. This is ensured by the impregnated synthetic fibres, which at the same time significantly inhibit breathability. That's why rain jackets are actually only suitable for running when the sky opens its floodgates particularly wide.
RUNNING JACKETS: WHICH MATERIALS ARE THERE?
GORE-TEX. Merino. PrimaLoft. The choice of materials for the best running jackets is adapted to your requirements. Every variation has its advantages.
- Plastic-free jackets: Some brands now offer functional jackets in which no plastic has been used despite the use of synthetic materials. However, it is more common to use completely or largely recycled plastic to make yarns for the jackets. Breathability and function are preserved.
- Merino: Functional jackets are not completely made of merino wool. But there are both soft shell and hard shell running jackets with a merino layer under the membrane. The wool thus counteracts odour, keeps warm and regulates body temperature. It cools when it's hot and warms when it's cold and is also easy to care for.
- GORE-TEX: The winning duo of every running jacket, every GORE-TEX membrane makes your equipment waterproof and also windproof. It also remains breathable and is easy to care for.
- PrimaLoft: The lighter the running jacket, the better. PrimaLoft synthetic fibres are particularly lightweight, yet provide effective insulation. They repel water, remain breathable and provide pleasant warmth.
WHAT CHARACTERISTICS DOES A RUNNING JACKET HAVE?
Every running jacket should be breathable. It should also protect against wind and water. There are various functions such as reflectors, hood, pockets and additional thermal layers:
- The sleeves: The traditional running jacket has long sleeves. But there are variants that you can turn into a running vest in seconds with the help of two zippers.
- With/without bag(s): Smartphone and keys should necessarily be with you during the run. That's why most running jackets have practical pockets in which you can store everything.
- Collar? Zipper? Hood? On cold days you also like to protect your head. Some functional jackets help with a hood, plus a zipper that you pull up to your chin. Lighter models, on the other hand, do not need a high collar.
- Thumb hole: Gloves are too warm, temperatures are too low for unprotected hands. For this there are running jackets with a thumb hole. So you warm the back of your hands and pulse.
- Breathability: Only good air circulation prevents heat accumulation under the jacket and keeps the body temperature constant. Warming running jackets also achieve this. Take a look at the RET value. If it is below six, the jacket is particularly breathable.
- Moisture transport: Wet fabric sticks and lets the body cool down. Functional fabrics of running jackets therefore transport moisture to the outside and keep the skin drier.
- Thermo jackets: Thermo and (merino) wool provide additional warmth for runs in winter; with constant breathability.
- Reflectors: Short days, dark runs. No problem. Many running jackets have sewn-on reflectors that keep you visible in the twilight or in the dark.
- Waterproof and windproof: The water column tells you how much water your running jacket can withstand. From 800 mm it is water-repellent, from 1,400 mm waterproof. Sealed seams and membranes, which also protect against wind, increase the effect.
HOW SHOULD A RUNNING JACKET FIT?
Not too wide and by no means too tight. Your functional jacket should fit over your running shirt in such a way that a warming air cushion can form in between. It should still be body-hugging. This way it not only adapts better to your movements, but also prevents it from fluttering against the wind. If the jacket has additional slits at the back and under the arms, this improves air circulation, while reflectors increase visibility in the dark.
THE BEST RUNNING JACKET FOR EVERY SEASON
The question is not if, but how dressed you start your run. You will find the right jacket for summer, winter and the transition period anyway in our running jackets sale.
Running jackets for the winter
Thicker functional fibres, plus warming wool inserts made of thermal material or merino. Fleece is also used. A climate membrane ensures the right body climate. The functional jacket also keeps out cold and moisture in winter and is windproof. Some models have a separate inner lining that has an insulating effect.
Running jackets for the summer
In winter, heat storage dominates, in summer breathability. Therefore the jacket wicks sweat outwards and has ventilation slits under the armpits and at the back. If it is also water-repellent, even rain will not get in the way of your run.
Running jackets for the transition period
Breathability and windproofness are important. The jacket should also be water-repellent. Since it can be even warmer or already a little warmer, models with removable sleeves are also suitable in spring or autumn.
HOW (OFTEN) DO I WASH A RUNNING JACKET?
Washing after each run is unnecessary, even counterproductive with the functional jacket. So only the function suffers. If the jacket does have to go into the machine, you can choose the gentle wash cycle, liquid detergent and close all zippers. Also note the care instructions on the label, especially regarding maximum washing temperature. Fresh air is sufficient for drying. In order to reactivate the impregnation, Gore also recommends that you place your products in the tumble dryer for 20 minutes at low speed after air drying.
RUNNING JACKETS AT KELLER SPORTS
For any weather. For every season. For ladies and gentlemen. At Keller Sports you will find exactly the running jacket you need online, from the best brands in the business.. Nike is represented as well as adidas and ASICS. You can get New Balance running jackets, The North Face, Gore Wear, plus the Swiss premium products from ON and order your equipment online. Furthermore, Keller Sports offers you special offers in the running jacket sale.