Outdoor clothing: What do you need?
Your outfit for the hike or the tour in the mountains is made up of different layers, materials, cuts - and each piece of fabric fulfils its very special purpose.
Tops are layered on top of each other using the onion principle:
- Outdoor shirts: Close to the body requires quick-drying fabrics. Outdoor shirts are therefore mostly made of synthetic functional fabrics. Merino wool serves as an additional warming yet functional option. The shirts regulate the body temperature and conduct moisture directly to the outside.
- Outdoor hoodies: Comfortable. Warming. Durable. Hoodies are an excellent versatile layer for your outdoor clothing. Versions with thumb holes additionally protect the back of your hands, the hoods the neck.
- Outdoor vests: When it freshens up, you want to protect your upper body from the cold. This is made possible by outdoor vests that insulate where you would otherwise lose the most heat. At the same time, they allow freedom of movement and air circulation and protect you from wetness.
- Outdoor jackets: The softshell version is mainly designed to provide warmth when the wind picks up a bit. Thanks to special treatment, some models can also withstand light rain. You can protect yourself against intense showers with hardshell jackets, whose often breathable membranes keep out water. Fleece jackets protect against even more intense cold.
Outdoor trousers have a relaxed fit and therefore offer freedom of movement. Mostly they are made of synthetic functional fabrics, some of them also have some elastane incorporated for more mobility. As a variant for warmer temperatures, outdoor pants can be converted into Shorts by zipping them open. Of course there are also short models available directly. Both shorts and long outdoor pants protect you from moisture and wind, and there are also special hardshell pants for particularly wet hikes.
Functional underwear: Almost like a second skin, outdoor undershirts and trousers fit. But one that regulates body temperature thanks to functional fabrics, wicks moisture away from the body and at the same time insulates if necessary. The underpants come with short, long or no sleeves at all, plus both shorts and long underpants. All variants are elastic and quick-drying.
Outdoor socks: Socks prevent your hiking boots from chafing your legs. Fit and high quality material prevent blisters. The latter is normally made of synthetic fibres and/or merino wool and thus ensures a pleasant foot climate when hiking. Pay attention to an optimal fit without wrinkles and slipping.
Why is special outdoor clothing worthwhile?
Simply to set off in jeans and T-shirt with sweater and leather jacket in your luggage, the joy of an outdoor adventure dims relatively quickly. The advantages of outdoor clothing are simply too versatile:
- Functionality: Even in cooler temperatures the way up the mountain will make you sweat. If the wind picks up, you cool down quickly. Thanks to functional fabrics specially designed for moisture transport, quick drying and cold insulation, Outdoor Apparel prevents just that.
- Weather protection: Just when the sky is still blue, rain suddenly sets in. Even wind is added. With the help of waterproof membranes, premium outdoor clothing protects against rain, cold and excessive drafts - without additionally stimulating sweat production.
- Durability: On the mountain or in the woods you can get stuck on rocks, bushes or branches. To avoid tearing at the first touch, outdoor clothing is therefore made especially robust.
- Supports the body during outdoor activities: In nature you must be able to move freely at any time. Functional equipment is therefore cut wide at crucial points without fluttering around uncomfortably on the body. At the same time, compression underwear supports the muscles.
The right outdoor clothing for every season
Not only autumn or winter brings surprises and cold. In the mountains, the weather does not need much advance notice to change from bright sunshine to cloudy skies. You should therefore always have a jacket with you and also equip yourself according to the basic mood of the respective season:
Outdoor clothing for the winter
Outdoor clothing in winter should both provide warmth and regulate moisture balance and body climate. Thermo fabrics and inserts provide additional warmth. It is best to use the onion principle, layering thinner layers. Because you shouldn't go on a winter hike if you're too thickly dressed. Water-repellent, windproof jackets with reflectors are definitely worthwhile. The underwear is a little thicker than in summer.
Outdoor clothing for the summer
The slightly warmer overjacket is only for safety reasons. Otherwise your equipment should be breathable, transport moisture to the outside and cool the body. At the same time you save weight. The waterproof hardshell jacket is always worth it in view of possible rain showers.
Outdoor clothing for the transition period
During the transition months you can counter a refreshing breeze with a windbreaker. The long-sleeved softshell protects against the cold, while a hard shell with a waterproof membrane protects you from showers. Of course you layer from functional underwear, to shirt, to softshell. You can also pack an additional outdoor vest.
How should outdoor clothing fit?
Freedom of movement is particularly important in nature. Your outdoor clothing should fit correspondingly loosely, but not serve as a sail for the (head) wind. It is important that you can move completely freely and that you are not restricted by tight-fitting fabric on your shoulders or hips. Also make sure that your functional outdoor clothing does not chafe anywhere.
How (often) do I wash outdoor clothing?
Since it sits directly on the skin so that it absorbs more sweat, you always wash your functional underwear more often than your vest or hard shell. At the same time, even with the latter, regular washing is worthwhile despite the membrane and impregnation. This is because dirt particles can bind water, thus reducing the water-repellent qualities. Unless the label says otherwise - there you will always find information on the preferred washing method and temperature - you use the machine.
If there is a special program for functional underwear, you select it, switch to 30, maximum 40 degrees and spin at a few rotations. At the same time, you don't overfill the machine. For merino wool and softshell jackets you also use a special detergent. Basically, a functional detergent is always suitable, which is designed for gentle washing of membranes and functional fabrics. Avoid washing powder and fabric softener.
Outdoor clothing at Keller Sports
KKeller Sports equips you completely for your hikes, your trips into nature. Softshell jackets. shirts. Functional underwear. Hardshell pants. In our outdoor shop you will find exactly the outdoor clothing you need for your next trips. For every weather condition. From the best brands. The Keller Sports outdoor range includes functional clothing and outdoor products from adidas Terrex, The North Face and Fjällräven, von Dynafit, Mammut and Haglöfs. You can also find Patagonia, PYUA, Peak Performance, Schöffel and Salomon in our outdoor shop - for both men and women. The intensive look is worth it. Especially since you can simply order online and find tempting offers in the Outdoor sale.