OUTDOOR BACKPACKS - WHAT'S SPECIAL?
Whether it's a hut tour, a holiday in the mountains, the Camino de Santiago or a year abroad (work & travel, internship) - these are all trips for which you need careful preparation and the right backpack. You should be able to comfortably stow everything you need on the road in your outdoor backpack. There is a wide range of backpacks to choose from, as they can be divided into different types: from lightweight daypacks to large models that are suitable for trekking tours lasting several days.
Special features of outdoor backpacks
- Stability and robustness
- Concealed seams, zips
- Wind- and waterproof materials
- Different sizes (10l - 70l volume)
- Generous storage space
- Adjustable, ergonomic back carrying system
- Lap and chest straps
- Extra padded straps and back zones
- Attached side pockets, lid pockets
- Extra loops, compartments or mesh nets
THE OUTDOOR BACKPACK - CARRYING SYSTEMS ARE THE BASIS
One of the main criteria for buying a suitable backpack is deciding on the back system. A light and straight back padding is good for a daypack - for large travel and hiking backpacks you need extra padding and an ergonomically designed back zone. For running or cycling, lightweight backpacks that fit snugly and are well ventilated are a good choice. If you are travelling fast or often find yourself on rough terrain when mountain biking, we recommend a sturdy backpack with a tight-fitting hip belt.
For hikers, it is very comfortable to have a mesh insert between the back and the backpack for ventilation. Large hiking and trekking backpacks have a stable carrying system that ensures that the weight of the backpack is close to the body and does not put unnecessary strain on the back. In general, you should remember that when hiking or trekking, about 70 to 80 percent of the backpack's weight rests on your hips to relieve the shoulders permanently. Therefore, the hip belt should always fit snugly so that the belt sits on your hips, and you can breathe comfortably. The chest strap ensures that the backpack fits snugly against your shoulders and back, and that the weight is carried close to your body.
OUTDOOR BACKPACKS - TYPES AND MODELS
- Daypacks: Backpacks for light day trips and easy hikes. Capacity: up to approx. 35 l storage space.
- Running backpacks: Running backpacks, (ultra) light backpacks and backpacks with hydration systems. Capacity: up to approx. 20 l storage space.
- Children's rucksacks: Carrying rucksacks for children, rucksacks and children's carriers. Capacity: up to approx. 15 l storage space.
- Travel backpacks: Backpacks for long trips and stays abroad. Often with special features such as detachable daypacks, anti-theft devices, hidden additional compartments, mobile phone pockets, etc. Not always optimized for long periods of carrying on the back. Capacity: up to approx. 60 l storage space.
- Hiking backpacks: Backpacks for long trekking and hiking tours. Robust, wind- and weatherproof, with plenty of storage space and ergonomic carrying systems. Capacity: up to approx. 70 l storage space, often expandable with additional outer pockets.
TOURING BACKPACKS AND THE RIGHT SIZE
In addition to suitable back systems, the size of your outdoor backpack should also suit your adventure. Think carefully about what and especially how much you want to carry in your backpack. A light outdoor jacket for colder hours does not take up as much space as food, drink, cooking utensils, clothing and sleeping bag on long hiking tours. Don't overload your back, and think carefully about how much weight you want to carry yourself. Then you can choose the right backpack. As a guideline, you can calculate with 20 percent of your body weight. However, 25 percent is still okay if you are well-trained. So if you weigh 80 kg, about 16 kilograms is good. 20 kilograms may be acceptable, depending on how far your daily stages are, how many metres of altitude there are and what the terrain is like. Winter tours often require more space than summer trips. While clothing and accessories are much heavier in the cold season, you will need to plan for more liquids (water, drinks) for your tour in the summer.
HIKING AND OUTDOOR BACKPACKS: EQUIPMENT DETAILS
Finally, the features of your backpack are important: backpacking backpacks, hiking backpacks or hiking backpacks come with a rain cover or a detachable bottom compartment for dirty laundry. Large outdoor backpacks shine with several access points to the main compartment. A pocket on the hip belt is also helpful, so that you have your keys, smartphone or other important small items within easy reach.
OUTDOOR BACKPACKS - AT A GLANCE
To give you a good overview, we have listed all the advantages.
- Space for everything you need
- Weatherproof, waterproof backpacks
- Robust materials
- Ergonomic carrying systems
- Sophisticated compartmentalization
The biggest advantage of a backpack compared to a bag or suitcase is that you always carry your luggage close to your body and have both hands free.
THE OUTDOOR BACKPACK: PLENTY OF SPACE FOR ADVENTURES
Whether you're going hiking, on long trekking tours or climbing - your outdoor backpack should be tailored to your own ideas and requirements. A high level of carrying comfort, enough space for your utensils and a good back system are very important. The best backpack is the one that meets your requirements and is suitable for your sports. In our online shop you will find functional backpacks and certainly the right model for you.