SPYDER SKI-MODE: INSPIRATION FROM THE RACING CIRCUS
David L. Jacobs is a veteran of the American winter sports scene - already at the age of 13 he drove his first ski race. With the companies "Lange-Jacobs Ski Boots Inc." and "Hot Gear", Jacobs had already gained experience in the development, manufacture and sale of ski boots and ski clothing. His interest in ski clothing grew when he realized in 1971 that there was little choice in the area of children's clothing and that the clothes looked grey and boring.
Jacobs decided to use his own experience to take skiwear to the next level. He had winter sports know-how from his own ski racing experience as Canadian Downhill Champion (1957) and his work as Head Coach of the Canadian Alpine Ski Team. Success came quickly: The tops of Jacobs' newly founded company sold so well that pants followed shortly afterwards. A special pair of ski pants gave the new company its name: Blue pants with yellow pads from knee to hip. Many skiers call them "spider pants". Although David Jacobs did not like spiders very much, he borrowed the "y" of the Ferrari Spyder and christened his company "Spyder".
Spyder expanded its portfolio to include ski racing pants, padded tops, sunglasses and ski racing accessories. For two years the articles continued to be expelled from David Jacobs' kitchen. In 1994, Spyder developed SpeedWyre, a technology for racing suits designed to reduce drag by 40 percent. US ski racers, who have been equipping the fire since 1989, thanked kindly. It rained medals - until the international ski federation, the FIS, banned SpeedWyre in 1997. It was said that the technology simply gave athletes too much of an advantage. In the mid-2000s, Spyder was sold to the American Authentic Brands Group LLC, which also markets Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson. (Source: Canadian Ski Hall of Fame
SPYDER OFFERS: MORE THAN SKI JACKETS
Spyder ski jackets and ski pants not only impress with outstanding material properties and functions - the ski clothing also scores with eye-catching designs and sporty looks. The striking logo with the spider, prominently displayed on jackets and trousers, stands for the motto of the American ski clothing manufacturer: "Live Life Fast. Spyder Ski apparel is easily recognizable by its mostly monochrome styles, which are interspersed with colorful, sometimes gaudy elements. Women's skiwear collections are often available in large shapes, upbeat neon colours and fashionable cuts. The Spyder men's fashion looks somewhat calmer and less conspicuous. Stretchy and high-quality blended fabrics made of polyamide, nylon and elastane with special flatlock seams ensure that Spyder ski clothing fits your body perfectly.
AT A GLANCE
- Foundation Year: 1978
- Company Founder: David L. Jacobs
- Company Headquarters: Boulder, USA
- Number Of Employees: 150
- Annual Turnover: around 4 million euros
- Website: spyder.com
- Sports: Winter Sports
3 GOOD REASONS FOR SPYDER
- Environmental Protection: Spyder's headquarters in Boulder uses 100 percent wind energy. In order to save paper, the sports brand sells its catalogues exclusively via the Internet. Spyder is also looking for ways to save energy in the manufacturing process and use recycled materials.
- Technology: Pieces from Spyder's technology line are specifically designed for peak performance. They keep dry and adapt to the athlete's natural movement. In addition, the materials are developed in such a way that they conduct moisture to the outside and keep it out.
- Professional Input: Spyder products come from ski racing and are still deeply rooted in the sport today. In addition to ski star Julia Mancuso, the sports brand Spyder is equipping the winter sportsmen Steven Nymann, Julian Carr and the entire ski team of the US national team with clothing.
SPYDER OFFERS: MORE THAN SKI JACKETS
- High-quality Gore-Tex® textiles: breathable, waterproof fabric
- Waterproof AquaGuard® Front Zippers
- Environmentally friendly, durable, PFCec-free, water-repellent surface impregnation (DWR)
- Welded, waterproof seams and seams
- Designs with reflective details for better visibility
- Forearm ventilation to reduce transpiration
- Detachable hood and helmet compatible
- Separable snow guard
- 3M Thinsulate, heat insulation through patented micro-fiber nonwoven fabric
- Comfortable stretch inner cuffs
- Integrated eyeglass cleaning cloth for clear vision
WITH TOP ATHLETES AS A SEAL OF QUALITY
To ensure that you are wrapped in the finest fabric, Spyder has teamed up with some of the most renowned and respected material tinkerers in the outdoor world. GORE-TEX® provides breathability and protects you from wind and moisture. Primaloft imitates down, stays in shape even better and insulates you effectively against the cold. Wrapped up in Spyder, even the densest snowstorms and the most intense wind will elicit nothing more than a superior smile from you.
To keep it that way, the brand works together with international top athletes who carry out the products again and again under the toughest conditions. US ski star Julia Mancuso is part of the Spyder team, as are freerider Owen Leeper, free skier Amie Engerbreston and extreme skier Chris Davenport. Your advantage. With Spyder, you get outdoor clothing for ski touring or the day on the slopes that top athletes have snubbed off - such as the new Spyder Tordrillo ski jacket. The brand also likes to equip the next generation. That's about what David Jacobs could have meant by "more."
YOUR SPYDER OUTFIT FROM KELLER SPORTS
High-tech from the racing circus for your slope experiences. At Keller Sports you will find over 100 different jackets and trousers of the brand with the spider logo. Both beginners and experienced skiers will find their suitable outfit! Whether it's groovy clothing in bright colours or rather understated, single-coloured jackets and trousers, the various models from Spyder Tordrillo, Leader or Solitude convince with their function and trendy designs.